Friday, April 18, 2008

A day or two on the Farm

Maleah and a baby lamb less than a day old.
Mom and Maleah with baby lamb on the Nelson Farm.
"Get me out of here!" She didn't like the wagon being pulled by her cousins.
So many might not know but I am a farm girl at heart. Last weekend we went to visit my parents in Cedar. It is never quite a vacation going to Cedar because there is always work to do and April is probably the busiest time of all.
The reason for our trip was that my nephew was being baptized and another nephew and niece were baptized just a few weeks before and we were having a family party for all three of them. I am very happy that they all made the choice to be baptized and became members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They are all great kids and I love all of them and proud to be their aunt.
I spent some time helping my dad on the farm while we were there. This was just a couple of thoughts that I had while helping out with the sheep that were having their lambs on the farm.
My top ten reasons I am glad I didn't have my baby in a sheep shed on the Nelson farm.
1. The last couple of weeks of pregnancy you have a spend all your time with sheep that are having babies all around you.
2. It is sinky and smelly and gets worse when it rains or snows.
3. What privet room? There are 90 other sheep in the same large shed.
4. The food is hay out of a five gallon bucket that's delivered 2 times a day.
5. My space is 4 feet by 4 feet with straw to keep my baby and me warm.
6. Identification is done by painted numbers on mine and my babies back (fun colors though).
7. Twins and triplets are common and singles are rare.
8. A well baby check up is docking. This is very sad of the baby lambs but necessary.
9. Labor and delivery is on your own.
10. It would suck to be a sheep all together.
I like to visit my family but is never a vacation when we go. It was however very fun to show Maleah the lambs and the baby goat they had at the farm. It is a lot of work but very rewarding work when my dad paid for our gas to come home. This is just part of our trip but this post is long enough to enjoy.

2 comments:

Susanna said...

Oh my goodness, she is SO ADORABLE!!!! I love those sweet chubby cheeks!
I love seeing all our friends from the 52nd ward, what a cute family you have. I'm glad I'll be able to keep in touch through your blog!

Adrienne said...

I'm glad I'm not a sheep :) But I think it's great you have a fun place to see grandparents.