Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Where has the time gone?

I don't know exactly where September went. Apparently it went by with me only taking about 10 pictures and most of them I took today. Time just got away we me. September is one of my favorite months and this one was good. What we have been up to.

My parents visited one weekend. They were already in SLC so coming the extra wasn't bad. It was also my Birthday and my little brothers too. It was a really nice dinner with my parents, brother and sister in law and my cousin who is studying at the university. We made steak and fresh roasted potatoes from my garden. Joe also made yummy cake. The next morning my parents took Maleah and I to breakfast. It is very nice not to have to cook breakfast too. Thanks Mom and Dad for visiting. The rest of the day I hung out with Liz and Maddie. The girls played until they both needed naps. When Joe got home from work he found a baby sitter for Maleah. We went to Firehouse pizza for dinner. It was yummy but the pasta is a small if you order the small. Then we went for Cold Stone ice cream. I love it and we ate it all up. After dinner we even watched a movie. So all together it was a happy birthday to me!!

I was looking for something completely different one day at Lowe's and found a porch swing on clearance for $25 normally for $100. I was so excited because I really wanted one. It was easy to put together and hang up. Now I just need to decide to paint it white, blue or leave it? Any subjection.
We have also done much yard work. We could have done more but we at least don't have the worse looking yard on the block. I actually think it looks good most of the time. I am really happy to have grass in the front and back. The lawn mower is good too. I am just glad that Joe will mow half and I mow half. Our yard is big when you think about mowing. Oh well it is better than dirt and weeds I would have to say.

I cut my hair it is not that big of a deal but it made a big change for me. I usually wait for a trip to SLC to have Joe's sis cut my hair but it was going to be awhile. My neighbor who we hang out with cut it for me. It is a very cute cut. She even trimmed Maleah's hair for me too. She only had a few long hairs that just look out of place. I was very happy to get a change.

A different neighbor planted tons of tomatoes. She was canning or freezing a lot but had a lot that would go to waste. I helped her pick about 8 grocery bags full and she gave me 4. I used another neighbor's pressure cooker and put up a lot of tomatoes. I only had to buy the bottles which is very expensive. I have to look at it as an investment because it really is. I was very proud of my efforts. I got 8 quarts and 24 pints of halved tomatoes and 6 pints of salsa and 4 pints of tomato juice. It was a big project, I think next year I will do it again. Also if anyone knows of someone getting rid of canning jars I am on the hunt to find jars for next year.

I have also worked on several craft projects. It is very full filling for me to make projects or bring things together and make it look nice.

I got a new calling in our ward. I taught Relief Society. I was very nervous but my lesson went really well. Now we are both released from our callings, why you ask. On Sunday at our meeting they announced a special meeting at 7 at the Stake Center. We have a huge ward average is 500-600 at Sacrament meeting. They created a whole new ward, and we are in the new ward. It was a little nerve raking but it was a happy change for us. We haven't been in the ward long and were having a hard time really making new friends besides the ones we already had from building our house. It was almost cut in half and then add just a few more houses from another ward. In the next two weeks they will set up a new ward with all new callings. It will be exciting to see what is in store for us now.

Maleah has been doing good. She was sick at the first of the month and had a lingering cough and now is sick again. As long she can fight off the virus we should not have to worry. It is hard because there is not medicine to fight viruses but what the body can do on it's own. I just hope the lingering cough clears up with this new infection too. She is a fighter so we know she will be fine.
Maleah and I also spend a lot of time in her speech classes. We go at least once a week and most of the time twice. She is really picking up a lot. She still has a ways to go but we are getting new words or at least parts of words now. She will also do more signs, which is a big help and is a good bridge to more communication. Her favorite thing now is "1 2 3 go". It doesn't sound quit right but we know what she means.

That is about our September. I missed a lot but it seems more complete than before.

7 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

It has been quite the month hasn't it? I love your little crafts you've been doing. The bow board things turned out way cute!

Adrienne said...

looks like you've been busy

Jared and Delia said...

Your crafts are SO cute! I love the hanging family frames. Wow...that is a lot of tomatoes. Good for you for canning. It is an investment. I have a few dozen quart jars that I keep telling myself I will use again...next year right? :) Next time I won't plant un-cannable cherry tomatoes.

I am so sorry Maleah is sick :(. I hope she feels better soon.

Score on that porch swing! I say paint it white. That is my opinion anyway. Or...do a wood stain.

The Byington's said...

Wow, your summer sounds about like ours! That's great that you got as many tomatoes that you did! I agree, those jars do get expensive, but your right, it is a great investment!
I'm glad that Maleah's speech class is going so well, and that you can see improvement. Good luck, and hope everything continues to go well for you guys!

Tannie Datwyler said...

I was totally behind the times and just got to reading this. It looks like you have been up to a lot of things. I LOVE September too. It was good to catch up on what you've been doing.

Jared and Delia said...

That works great for me the 18-21...Just let me know when and where! I have some things going on here and there but they are flexible. Thanks Kaylyn. See you in a couple of weeks.

Rachel & Justin said...

LOVE your crafty stuff! I wanna try doing something like your FAMILY thing.
One time when I needed to can tomatoes, I couldn't find any jars in the stores, so I checked the DI and got a really good deal. Of course I put them through the dishwasher a few times:)