Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Week 1 Day I was Born

This is my new attempt to blog more often and in a little more meaningful way too.

It is called "A Personal History in 52 Weeks"

Here it goes and I am already playing catch-up.

Week 1: Day I was Born
I, Kaylyn Nelson was born on 14 September 1982. Time: 9:12 pm, at Cedar City, Iron County, Utah. I was born in the Valley View Medical Center, Doctor Graft delivered me.
Weight at birth 7 lbs 6 oz, Height 19 inches
Color of hair brown, Color of eyes gray to brown

Some things about the day and my birth that my mom remembers. Kudos to my mom for remembering so many things.
My due date the the 12th so I was two days over due. That Tuesday morning Mom and Dad went to vote in a primary election. They took the truck into town. Mom wasn't making much progress and they just hung out at the hospital for a while and they sent her home. At home they ended up cutting sod which is a lot of work and loaded it in the truck and delivered it before heading back up to the hospital. Once at the hospital two more women had come in. They didn't know who was going to deliver first so the had my mom and one other lady share a room and had the husbands wait in the waiting room. The two other ladies were pretty noisy while in labor so my mom was noisy too. She got teased about it after words and then with my little brother she was really quiet. The other ladies ended up delivering first. They brought my Dad back in. My Dad and Doctor Graft talked about sheep while my mom was delivering me. Sheep is what was on my Dad's mind when I was being delivered. The doctor's family has a sheep farm to the south of town. We of course have a sheep and sod farm too. It's a Girl as I came out and got cleaned up.
The next day Dad took off a little more work to bring us home from the hospital. Brent my older brother was in kindergarten and they knew they needed to try and get home before the bus. They made it pretty close after. When Brent got home the phone rang and it was Grandma Nelson wondering if the baby had come yet. They can't remember for sure but they think he wasn't telling Grandma right that I was born. Luckily they got to the phone and told Grandma I was here and well.

I was 4 of 5 Children to Kerry Lynn Nelson and Ann Murri.

Father was a Land Surveyor and Mother stayed home at this time.
Siblings are Becky 1st was 7 years old, Brent 2nd was 5 years old and Marianne 3rd was 3 years old when I was born. Me, Kaylyn was 4th. Garth was 5th is two years younger.

On that day in History
- 36" snow (Red Lodge, MT)
- Cindy Nicholas of Canada makes her 19th swim of English Channel
- Trevor Baxter sets skateboard high jump record of 5' 5.7"
- President Ronald Reagan of United States
- Spencer W Kimball 12th Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- #1 song was Chicago's "Hard to Say I'm sorry," topped the charts on September 14 1982 staying there for 2 weeks.

- Grace Kelly Dies,
The Princess of Monaco dies from injuries suffered in a car accident.

No comments: