Sunday, August 2, 2009

Up to 3



Maleah turns 2 in just under 2 weeks. We have played with some of her friends that are her age and I noticed something. Mainly that she is not talking. I then started to try and count what words she has. I counted less then ten. By two they should have 50 plus words and starting to make two or more word phrases. I looked online for a lot of information about development. She was hitting many of her other milestones but not her language ones. I knew there were programs out there and resources and after much thought and discussion with Joe about it I found the state program of Baby Watch and then the local program Up to 3. I called and they did a short evaluation over the phone to see if there was a need to do the full evaluation. They said we should have the full evaluation because she does seem behind in her language.
Within a couple of days we had the three appointments setup. One Wednesday- language, one Thursday- development, and Friday- hearing test and eligibility and plan. Maleah acted very well for all of them. She did the skills she has but didn't have the language parts. She was great at the developmental evaluation. She pasted the hearing test and was so patient and clam for it. Because of where she is at with the language she is eligible for services. It was reassuring but still a little worry some. Now we have a plan and resources I am a little more ready to deal with it. There are a lot of resources and I am excited to get started. We will be a lot busier but it will be worth it to get Maleah to communicate more.
I will probably post more about how it goes so stay tuned.

8 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

It's probably a good thing to have looked at. It is frustrating when they can't really communicate very well. Hopefully it will make things easier in that area of life. We need to play!!!

Adrienne said...

sorry. It's never easy to worry about your child. hope things go well

Jared and Delia said...

That is great that you recognized that as her mother and you are getting her help early. I bet she will kick this delay early and be totally fine. Owen got tested for speech issues - more pronunciation than anything. He is normal but borderline needing that preschool program. I suspect he will get pulled aside in elementary school for some help. I know how it feels to worry about them. I hope she enjoys the program.

Paul and Mariko said...

Up To 3 is an AWESOME program! I did my practicum there (for the hearing side of things), and there are some incredible people that work there - Maleah will be in good, very capable hands! :) For sure keep the blog updated - I'd love to see how things go for her!

Shantel said...

Good for you for being aware of Maleah's needs. I have had friends who have done programs like these and said they are AWESOME, I am sure both you and Maleah will love it!

The Shermans said...

I noticed the same thing with Jordan. We got him into speech for a few months until we moved. He's made a lot of progress The therapist also gave me lots of ideas to help promote language development. I'll tell you more on my family.

Adam and Brynn said...

Up-To-3 is Awesome!! :) Logan has 4 different therapists from there, and they are so great to work with. Maleah will do great, no worries! :) I'm glad she's able to get some early intervention, that's the best way to fix it. Keep us updated. :)

The Byington's said...

Cole is in a speech program right now actually, so I totally understand what your going through. We are in Early Intervention though. But we've liked it, we go once a week, they focus on a letter and it's sounds. So we sing songs, play, do arts, ready stories, that are totally focused on that letter. It's great, we've only been 3 times, and I've already had people comment on him talking better already! Hopefully things work great for you guys! Gook luck!