Sunday, August 2, 2009

Zucchini Bread

This post is mostly for my mom, so if she likes the story she should leave me a comment!

My mom Ann and Maleah, almost two years ago. I don't have any recent pictures.

My garden is producing many things. Most are quite ready yet but I did get two good size zucchinis already. My two favorite things to do with zucchini is to make bread and to cut it up really small and put it in dinner like the filling for enchiladas. You don't taste the zucchini in the filling because there are so many strong favors. But this story is about Bread.
I go on a walk early with my neighbor so Maleah is still sleeping and I have a lot of time in the morning if I don't go back to bed. On Thursday Morning I decided I needed to make zucchini bread before my fresh zucchini went not so fresh. I looked every where for the recipe I got from Liz. I really liked it. With no luck finding it, I then checked my cook book of my family recipes. My mom's zucchini bread recipe was not in there but it said it was. Next was a cook book from my home stake Enoch. There was three recipes. I looked at the recipes and they were all very similar. I just picked the one that looked the best. I start making it and it is going great. I get almost all the way through and look at who put the recipe in the cook book and it says "Ann Nelson." What I say to myself, I ended up making my mom's recipe. It is funny because I would never even try to taste it when she made it when I was growing up. Funny how things change. The one change I made was adding chocolate chips. I then baked it for over an hour. I thought it was done but once it was cooled discovered it was still a little doughy in the middle, and it didn't come out of the pans well. It still tasted wonderful and still have one loaf left to eat next week. I love you Mom. I know I always gave you grief with cooking, but things have changed and I really love a lot of our family recipes. Thanks Mom!

4 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

haha that's really funny. I love that you really made your mom's recipe not knowing it!

Tannie Datwyler said...

So I have the same problem with soft breads that you described. Here's what I do - I use mini loaf pans and then the bread cooks faster and isn't burned on the outside and doughy in the middle. That might help.

Jared and Delia said...

That was a sweet story! My quick breads get doughy in the middle too! I just have to almost burn the top to get it right all the way through. IT bugs me. It happens with every recipe I have tried. If you find one that can fix that please tell me!

ann nelson said...

Kaylyn, I finally figured it out, I think love Mom