Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Grandpa and Grandma Nelson

I have wanted to do this post for awhile but can't seem to catch Maleah with the camera but I need to record the story anyways.
The above picture is of my Grandpa and Grandma Nelson. It is usually on a lower bookcase. When I first took it out Maleah would always seem to get a hold of it and play with it and pack it around. I was very bothered with this behavior because it is a special picture and it is not protected with glass or anything. So I put it up higher so she can't get it. She got a hold of it just recently again. This time I watched her a little closer. She seemed to put it so they could see her playing. She was also jabbering to them like friends or like she does to her dad and me. Grandpa Nelson passed away before I was born and Grandma Nelson passed away a couple of years ago. So it makes this picture and their memory special to me.
At church the next Sunday or so the lesson was about family history. A lady shared a story about her granddaughter finding and packing an old family picture around. It was very touching because I realized a very important lesson. Maleah had met and knew Grandma and Grandpa Nelson. She was part of the family long before she was sent to this earthly family. I have since told her more stories and things about her Great Grandparents. It has really given me the chance to teach her and remember as well. I loved my Grandparents dearly and miss them all the time but as I remember and share their lives it seems to make them so much closer to us.

2 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

That is such a neat story! It is amazing the things kids know that we just don't understand.

Becky said...

I miss Grandma and Grandpa too. I miss her parties and everything she did throughout the year. Just go over the stories that Grandma gave us several years ago to help keep the memories alive.