Monday, February 15, 2010

Pink or Blue?

Is everyone ready to know! I was sure ready last night when it was time to finally find out.

The back story just to document it for us. A month or so ago, Joe got the idea he didn't want to find out the gender of our new baby until it was born. For me that is not even an option yet. I need the fun surprise in the middle to help get through the last 20 weeks of pregnancy. I also like to call the baby a boy or girl and get a name picked out, nursery set up, and get Maleah some what ready. I thought of several different ideas to make it funner for us, our family and friends. I saw this idea on the "Today Show." This couple had the ultrasound and then took the results to a bakery and they made a cake that inside was pink for girl or blue for boy. Joe loved the idea. I was not sure that I could handle the wait from the ultrasound date to the party all of four days but I managed.

The invitation to the surprise cake party!
On Wednesday we had the ultrasound. Right as we go in, Joe tells the tech what we are doing. She is totally game for it. She really thought it was a fun idea. So we see the baby's face, and it is so sweet. As it goes along and starts to get to that part she turns off our monitor and makes sure we can't she her monitor. She printed off a picture of the gender and sealed it in the envelope and card. It seemed like this part took forever. I just wanted to peak but Joe wouldn't let me. When we got home he even hide the card and then took it the next day to the Wal-mart bakery.

The baby's first good picture of the face.

We got the house all ready and cleaned up. I was so ready to just dig into the cake it was silly. At church some of our friends asked the gender. Of course I still didn't know either. My in laws then came super early for the party. So we had to make dinner for everyone, which turned out pretty easy. I love using the slow cooker especially for Sunday diner.

Finally time for the party. As everyone come in they got to vote for what they thought the baby was even the little kids got to put in their vote. Then we would count and after the revile we would pick one person that guessed right to win a cup with candy. Everyone wanted to win too.
Here was the set up as everyone came in.

Maleah and Joe wrestling it out right before the party started. We got balloons some with helium too, for the kids to play with while we waited a little longer. Maleah loves balloons. Some of her friends took some home after and she was not very happy. She still had three left but she always wants all of them.
Here is the cute cake. I didn't know what to expect because Joe talked with the bakery and set everything up. I was really happy with it. It says "Congratulations ?" on top. The pictures didn't show that very well.

We of course had to have ice cream too for the party. It only took me a short time to realize that blue ice cream is not sold just everywhere. Pink is easy to find because it is common. I had one choice and it was a very good one. If you haven't lived in Cache Valley you may not know but Aggie's are famous for a couple of things. One thing they are known for is... Aggie Blue Mint Ice Cream.
Once we pulled out the ice cream, everyone was a little surprised but also knew that was a very good choice for blue and pink ice cream. I am excited to get to eat all the leftovers too. Both favors are delicious.

We counted up the votes at 7:15 pm. It was 9 blues and 8 pinks. After we ate cake Joe picked at random one of the correct votes and our friend Amber won the candy.

We are posing before we cut the cake.
Maleah didn't want to poss very well but still was in the picture with us.

The first piece of cake.

Oh you can't tell quit yet. It was hard to see the color because it was only a layer of frosting under the white. Okay here is the results.


It's
.
.
.
A
.
.
.
.
.
?


Girl!!

So now you know the story and the results. We had a great time. It was fun to share that moment with friends and family that was able to come, especially on Valentine's Day. It was one of Joe and Mine best Valentine's Days together. I hope you all enjoyed the story too.

12 comments:

Alyssa Harper said...

That is such a cute idea! I think I might keep it for my next pregnancy. Congratulations on your sweet girl!

Adrienne said...

what a cute idea. how fun. congrats!

Kelly A. said...

I love this idea!!! I may want to use it in the future too :)

Brent and Sarah Nelson and Family said...

Thats Great guys we are so excited for you. That was a cute Idea. sounds fun. we love you and send our hugs and cngrats to all 4 of you.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

Yay Congrats guys. It was fun to be there with you.

Delia said...

That is SUCH an CUTE awesome idea! I LOVE IT! What a fun celebration.

Rebecca said...

Cute idea!! I totally want to do this for my 2nd. Congrats on having a baby girl. Girls are so much fun! :)

Becky said...

Well the Nelson girls are catching up. Congratulations, now you can prepare for her coming. :)

Tannie Datwyler said...

Oh Kaylyn! This is so fun!!! :) I love the ice cream and cake and everything. I'm so sad we forgot. Congratulations!!

Lindy said...

Ahhh, two cutie little girls who will be best friends. Congratulations!

...will and bobbi... said...

Hey! I don't know if you got my text but ConGRATS! Sorry we couldn't make it! I just glued the frame onto the mirror I don't know if that is the best idea but I dont plan on ever taking it down.

Raylyn said...

What a fun idea!! Yay for another girl:)