Wednesday, April 28, 2010

First day of Lil' Aggies Preschool

Maleah had here first day at Lil' Aggies Preschool last week. It was pretty exciting for both of us. I thought I would be sad but I was more glad and happy than anything.

This journey started when she was just about 2 years old. I noticed she didn't have the words and language that many of her friends her same age did. We had Maleah tested for delays across the board. She was delayed in the speech and language areas. So we got started with Speech therapy with the Up to 3 program. She has slowly made progress. She loves to talk and jabber. After 6 months they are suppose to re-evaluate, and some how it was skipped and didn't get done until March. She had met most of her goals and doing well on some of the test but not on another test. Then her coordinator and I thought about articulation is her main problem. Sure enough that is where Maleah is having the hardest problem. She has a lot of language but the level of understanding by others is low because she leaves sounds off. We have started a class just for articulation. I am not sure yet how it is working because Maleah doesn't cooperate and repeat often.

The Up to 3 program also has a transition preschool called Lil' Aggies. This class is usually for when they are 33 months old and help the kids go from the home setting to a school setting. Then once they turn 3 they start the school district programs if they qualify. We have a pretty open schedule and one of the classes had opening so Maleah got to start at 31 months.

Maleah's favorite part is she got a backpack. This was actually pretty difficult to find this time of year. I found this one on clearance and it has a bear to color. Maleah loved to color all over it. She loves to pack around her backpack and we even have to take it to church now with her few toys.

Wearing it upside down.


Another day wearing it around the house.

This is her actual first day going. She was so ready to get in the car and go she won't poss outside for me, so this is what we got.
She loves to go and play and doesn't even fuss or cry when we drop her off. I am just glad she is getting more focused help then I can give her. I love this little girl and so happy she can be so grown up too.

2 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

hehe Maddie did it again. (if you read this comment before the other one you will know what I mean when you read it) "Ooooh I like that backpack!" Apparently she thinks Maleah has good taste.

Delia said...

Oh so cute! She looks like is so excited to go. That is wonderful that she can get that help now and in such a fun way. Our speech therapist has been such a blessing to us too. :)