Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Week 2: My Blessing Day

I was blessed and given the name of Kaylyn Nelson on 26 September 1982, fast Sunday just before General Conference of 1982. Blest by my father Kerry Lynn Nelson. In the Cedar North Stake in the Enoch 1st ward.


How I got my name.

When my mom was expecting me ultrasounds we not as detailed as they are now. I was also laying on my side and they couldn't tell if I was a boy or girl. They had both a girl and boy name picked out before I was born. They liked the name Kaylyn. My father's name was Kerry Lynn so I am the closest to having a child named after him. I have a Great Aunt named Alice Kaye Winters. She always claimed I was named after her too. My mom said they just let it be so no one got their feelings hurt. I even have a cute locket and note she sent to me. The note says, "Dear Little Kaylyn, May you enjoy wearing this little golden locket. I am looking forward to meeting you. I hear that you are beautiful & I'm glad you have my name. Love Aunt Kaye"
I am proud to be named after both of my Dad and Great Aunt.

My blessing dress has a story all it's own too. My Grandma Nelson was on a cruise when I was born and they found out on their way home that I was here. They looked from there to when they were almost home for a dress that they loved. Well they were in Las Vegas, Nevada almost home when they finally found it. I guess they had a hard time finding something. I love my pretty lacy dress.

To add to the story, my mom saved my dress and kept it nice for when I had a baby girl. So my little girl Maleah was able to wear my blessing dress on her blessing day in September 2007, 25 years later. She was also wrapped in a blanket made by my sweet Grandma Nelson.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

cute. my mom brought my blessing dress for my little girl too (also 25 years later) very nice to write it all out